Garlic Ginger Collard Greens + Eggs & Feta
Sautéed collard greens and ginger topped with perfectly cooked over easy eggs and tangy feta makes for a simple yet magnificent breakfast. Who doesn't love a one pot dish?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 bunches of collards, stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon of butter, divided
- 3-4 eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- a few cracks of freshly ground black pepper
- In a large heavy skillet heat the oil over medium high. Add the garlic, shallot, and ginger along with the red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to medium low and saute until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add in half the collards and half the salt. Saute until starting to wilt and then add in the other half of the collards along with the rest of the salt. Continue to cook until wilted but still bright green. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Increase the heat to medium high and stir in the water or broth. Make nests in the collards for your eggs. I usually do one per person. Divide the butter between the eggs and put a pat in each little nest you've made for the eggs. When the butter melts crack each egg into the hole in the collards and sprinkles the feta on top of it all. Simmer until the white is just set and the yolk is still runny. Remove from heat, crack some pepper over the top and serve hot!